Saturday, August 15, 2009

Fishy in the Sea

I've indulged in movie watching. First order of the day was going to see Ponyo with my little sister. When I came out of the theatre I was a little jarred since it was an insanely visually rich film. It was like a child's dream and as such the moments didn't always make sense together, but individually were magical. The more I think of it the more I am dumb-founded at Miyazaki's ability to understand children. It baffles me. I actually had to step back to understand in what world this story worked. To my embarrassment I realized it was the world I often attempt to capture: a child's. Admittedly, Miyazaki is usually an aquired taste for me, which means I have to see his films a number of times before I fully get it. Ponyo has so many layers I think I hardly licked the surface. Perhaps it's only because I had a professor in college who is crazy about symbolism, but I would kill to know what everything in Ponyo means or represents.

Actual crtiques? Like I said sometimes the story didn't flow incredibly well, and so I thought for moments that I was bored, and really I just have to forget that in order for children to go on adventures they can't always be SAFE and DRY. I nearly choked when I saw the mother taking Sosuke in the car during the storm. I thought, "Lady, leave your kid with the old ladies!" You really know you're getting old when you start thinking those things during an animated movie where you're practically assured the main character, who is five is not going to DIE.

PONYO

Other than Ponyo I've watched:

17 Again- For anyone who can't quite admit they're attracted to Zach Efron, but want an excuse to look at him anyways. Not bad, actually.

Sister Act- Always a popular choice in my household. Musical fun AND nuns, what more could I ask for?

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium- When I dream of being a character Natalie Portman has played, it's usually the role she plays in this one. She's bright, funny, momentarily insecure, and gets to work in a magical toy store. Watch it with your brothers and sisters, or alone if lonely.

On the Art front, I managed to get this little painting out today. I'm having terrible trouble actually drawing. It's like my hand refuses to remember what things look like. It's because I've been painting, isn't it?

Big Hello from Texas,
Fabi

3 comments:

Jess said...

I laughed out loud at your commentary on your recent movie selection, especially the ones about 17 again and Sister Act. Glad to hear that you're enjoying your summer away from work and Boston. Hope that you have an awesome time with your family back at home. See you in New England.

Jess said...

also cute adaptation of Ponyo. I also like the new character at the bottom.

A. P. said...

All Miyazaki's films are insanely visually rich : )
From Totoro to Spirited Away, or Howl's Moving Castle. I totally recommend these, if you haven't watched them yet... : )